Something's sloshing in Amsterdam... and it's more than just canal water!

A group of friends get together every Friday for a themed cocktail night. Amazing how creative booze can get!

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Upturned Petticoat

The Upturned Petticoat:
Happy Valentine's Day. Naturally, we had to create a cocktail for the occasion.
I spent some time thinking about what sort of text I might attach to a drink called 'The Upturned Petticoat' but in the end, I'll leave that to your Valentine imagination.
But while I was considering yesterday, my husband and I got involved in an interesting conversation about language - since his native language is Dutch, and mine, English.
We were talking about how amazing it is that so many of our current words are thousands of years old-- we can hear our ancestor's voices every time we open our mouths today.
Anyway, my husband read a line for me that I thought was absolutely befitting of a Valentine post:

Hebban olla vogala nestas hagunnan 
hinase hic anda thu, wat unbidan we nu? 

That is the VERY first piece of written Dutch - it's about a thousand years old (penned by a Flemish monk in 1100). And here's the translation:

All of the other birds are busy making their nests except for you and me
What are we waiting for?

It's nice to know that people have been in love for a very long time!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Recipe for Upturned Petticoat:
1 oz kirschwasser
3 oz prossecco rose (zinfandel)
3 oz kriek (cherry beer)
Freeze ice cube with a heart candy inside


No comments:

Post a Comment