Something's sloshing in Amsterdam... and it's more than just canal water!

A group of friends get together every Friday for a themed cocktail night. Amazing how creative booze can get!

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Adventure of the Travertine Nose - Part IX

"Not going?" Basil roars when you answer his knock. "But what if someone tries to kill us again?"
"Then they'll have to poison my tea, and I have a very good nose for almonds," you retort, "Because I'm not creeping down any more holes."
"This isn't an Agatha Christie novel," Basil howls. "Someone tried to bury us alive last night."
"Well, they failed, didn't they. So let's get cracking on the nose. I'll start the portrait this afternoon and see if I can feel Lady Rackrent out a bit better, and then we'll get the hell out of here before the cuckoo hones his or her murder skills."
"Why won't you go?" he asks, rubbing the bandage on his arm.
"I'm not leaving you here alone," you say simply. "Will you come with me?"
He frowns. "I'm afraid all the evidence will be gone."
"I agree."
"I don't think it's the old lady."
"Neither do I. I'd bet on the twins. They are far too creepy to be completely innocent. And besides, the thefts couldn't have been executed by Lady Rackrent. She's too... noticeable."
"Like a blue whale in a swimming pool," Basil agrees. He hems and haws his way through breakfast and then, post-cornflakes, he gives in.
"Alright. You can stay. But I'm going with you when you paint the old lady. You're not going to go anywhere alone."
"Fine."
"If you take a walk, I'm coming. If you visit the garden, I'm coming. If you're..."
"I get it. You're my jailer."
"Precisely. The thing is... we need to photograph the stolen paintings. That's a priority."
Although your stomach is in a knot, you have to agree, And with Lady Rackrent getting her beauty sleep, now is the time. You wrap some bacon in a napkin and manage to avoid both Ray and Roy as you creep back upstairs. Basil locks the door from the inside and uncovers the trap.
"Let me give you some help," you offer.
"Don't get your fingers anywhere near this thing in case I drop it." He's already shifted the heavy stone by the ring. Someone who hadn't seen him using his body as a battle-ram the night before would have called him a wimp, with the way he groaned and carried on. Finally, the stone was safely lifted and Basil was descending the ladder.
"Now you stay right there until I get. Keep the door locked, keep the curtains closed, and for God's sake don't pick up the phone or let anyone in. Pretend you're in the tub."
"Got it." It's an awful site to see the top of his head disappearing into the blackness. "Are you alright?" you keep calling into the hole. The first few times he answers. And then there's dead silence. A half or passes, maybe more. "Basil?"
Someone knocks at your door. Of course you don't answer. But then they start hammering on the door. Should you ask who it is? Your heart can't take much more, and they are only glass doors anyway. Just when you're about to shriek out loud, Basil's head comes back into view.
"What's that racket?" he asks.
"Someone's at the door!" you hiss.
He slides a rug over the gaping hole and wrenched the door open.
Lady Rackrent is standing on the other side, panting. Her countenance of anger melts away and is replaced by a humorous smile.
"I see how it is, children," she smirks. "So sorry to disturb you. I just wondered what time my sitting will begin."
She looks at you but Basil answers. "In an hour."
"Very good," she chuckles. "I'll leave you to it, then," and she glides away.
Basil slams the door so quickly that her chiffon train gets stuck in it and he needs to reopen it. She only chuckles some more.
"Dear God!" you sigh. "I was scared to death. What were you doing down there?"
"Looking for the paintings."
"Don't you remember where we found them?"
"I remember exactly where we found them. But they're gone."
"Ah." You sit on the edge of the bed, horrified. "Lost again."
"At least know they were here. That's a start. There's nothing to protect here now, we might as well go."
Your heart leaps up in your chest. Go! Another knock interrupts you. You glance at each other, both realizing it probably isn't Lady Rackrent. Basil swings the door open before you can stop him. An elderly woman in a maid's uniform is standing on the other side.
"Just bringing up some fresh towels," she says, looking a little lost. "Shall I put them on the bed?"
"That's fine," you answer.
"M'am," Basil begins, sidling up beside her. "We haven't met before. I wonder if Roy and Ray are not well today."
"Roy and Ray? I don't know, love. I just got called in this morning from my employment agency. I haven't seen no one else serving since I got here. Too much work for a woman of my age. I'd not of come if I known it."
Basil nodded, "I see. Well, please don't bother with us then."
"Gone," Basil frowns. "So they've made off with the paintings. I suppose we should tell Lady Rackrent. They were using her family home as a safe house for goodness sake. She ought to be notified."
"I suppose," you say reluctantly.
"You mean you don't think we should? Are you saying you still suspect her?"

ARE you saying you still suspect Lady Rackrent? If so choose 'A'

Roy and Ray were the culprits here. How could lady Rackrent have been involved in hte thefts ansd such. No, the danger is past. It's perfectly safe -- and your obligation really-- to let her know what's gone on under her roof. Chose 'B'.

3 comments:

  1. A...you can hide a lot of paintings in a moo moo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is in on it, I'm sure; A it is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get Real!!! The danger is NEVER past ~ Nothing and no one is ever "perfectly safe" Roy, Ray and Rackrent ~ the three "R's" (and I don't mean readin' ritin' and rithmetic! A is the way! XOXO

    ReplyDelete