Something's sloshing in Amsterdam... and it's more than just canal water!

A group of friends get together every Friday for a themed cocktail night. Amazing how creative booze can get!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Adventure of the Travertine Nose - Part XIV

You are a fast thinker!
"I'm so sorry, Lady Rackrent! I was puzzling over the nose and I tripped over the andirons." You hold up the nose to corroborate your story. It may be a little chipped and worse for wear, but from a distance she can't tell.
"Oh, dear. You are clumsy, aren't you. Shall I ask my men to carry you up to bed?"
"I'm just fine" you say quickly, getting up off the carpet. You are most anxious to stay away from Roy and Ray. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you."
You race by Lady Rackrent and gallop up the stairs into your room. You frantically lock the door behind you. When you turn back inside, you have to clamp a hand over your mouth to stifle the scream. Basil is lounging on your bed, pretending to smoke a cigar.
"Where have you been?" he asks, twinkling. "I let myself in - hope you don't mind."
"How...?"
"There was a trick to the trap door, just as I thought. Seeing the way the joints moved in the hidden passage made me think of it."
Well what if you were wrong?"
"Then you would have had to open the trap again. You did it once. You're a hefty girl."
You're not quite sure what he means by hefty, but it isn't the time to compare definitions.
"Look," he says in a more serious tone. "I've put you in danger by bringing you here. There's obviously something strange, to say the least, going on in this house. Now, I'm going to stay and figure it out. But I want you to go back to Edinburgh. I'm going to see you off at the train station tomorrow morning."
"But then I'll never know..."
"We'll have dinner when I get back to town and I'll tell you what I've found out. It's too dangerous for you to stay here."
He really wants you to go. You tell him you'll think about it. He kisses you on the forehead and pulls the ruby glass doors closed behind him until they click into place. He whispers through the crack for you to lock them. It's impossible to fall asleep--- you just keep staring at the nose on the nightstand.

Will you go along with Basil's plan and allow him to take you to the train in the morning? After all, Basil may be involved for all you know. Chose 'A'.

Leave? But you're feeling like Indiana Jane. And you're lusting for more Edgar Allen Poe-style high jinx. You won't feel at peace until you see those paintings in the hands of the authorities and you're BOTH safely away from Castle Rackrent. Chose 'B'.

4 comments: